Friday, April 3, 2009

Helicopter parenting

I am "helicopter parenting" my grown ass son. For those you know you don't know the term, it refers to the type of parent that attempts to control and be present in every aspect of their kids life, but not in a good way...more like, hyper-involved to point where the kid can't mess up or learn things on their own because the parent is always hovering...hence the term. Today's society is full of "helicopter parents" and I am guilty of it too. I can't help myself at times. I just want to help to the point of helping too much. Setting alarms, making sure they get up, calling to find out if they will be home on time since they need to wake up early for work the next day or trying to give advice whether it's been asked for or not. The list goes on and on. I think I'm being helpful, but it drives them crazy at times and for good reason. They both have been very patient with me and realize it comes from a good place, but they have each asked that I take a down a notch. With my son, it's a little less cute and endearing and according to what he said this morning, slightly insulting. He said he feels like I don't think he's capable of doing things on his own...but I feel like if I don't follow up that one time....then, that will be the day it would have been helpful....I know, I know, I have a problem. BTW, my arms are tired of hovering and I have only myself to blame.

2 comments:

seant said...

i take notes on how you do it because you are the coolest and fittest mom i know. :)

Sara said...

thanks, sean!