Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Got God?

My daughter said she wants to believe in God. This new found interest sort of came out of left field (or so I thought). She "knows" about God and religion. I've shared with her stories of my Catholic upbringing and my stance on religion and why I chose not to baptize her or her brother. She's been aware and sensitive to her best friend's belief in God, but she's never expressed a personal interest until now. She said wants to believe in God now, so she can pray for her uncle who is very sick. She said her best friend told her if she didn't believe in God, then her thoughts and prayers would not be answered. We talked a lot about the power of prayer and I told her she didn't need to direct it to one person (or God from this matter). I also had to remind her that even if she was already religious and if God was listening everyday to her, the bottom line is he is going to die. That is the terrible and tragic fact. But my super left-brained daughter wasn't having any of it. So, I asked her if she wanted me to take her to church. She said no. I asked her she wanted to speak with a priest. She said no. I asked her if she wanted me to teach her the in's and out's of what I was taught. She said no, she'd like to be Christian, not Catholic! Then I realized I was dealing with something larger. She needs something to cling to during this trying time. Something more than facts, friends or even I can offer. Religion offers "answers" and comfort when life really throws a curve ball. The unknown is just so deep and dark. Maybe she'll go to church one day. Maybe she won't. I told her when she was ready to talk about it again, I was ready to listen. Then her friend came over and they went to a football game.

No comments: