Friday, May 29, 2009

Surrendering

I've been a parent pretty much my whole life. Ok, maybe more like half my life. Actually, more than half my life. Anyway, it's been a really long time and I've enjoyed every minute of it. Ok, maybe not EVERY minute of it. Being a mom to my son and daughter is all I've ever known. Waking up each day to care, support, worry and love them and then going to sleep focusing my love and energy towards them. I've been doing this for long it's all I know and it's all I've wanted, so now is really the hard part for me. My son is grown and gone for the summer. My daughter is becoming a self-sufficent young woman and I am left wondering what to do. It's a strange, new experience for me this so called "freedom", where not every minute of my life is taken up by caring for children. You might think I'm nuts for missing the madness, but I do, so I find myself in a constant struggle to let it go. The urge to "smother"....that's my term for being an overzealous mother ;-).

No comments: